The Healthier Living (or Chronic Disease Self-Management Program) is a FREE evidence-based program developed by Stanford University and has been shown to improve health and well-being of adults with different chronic conditions.
“The workshop put me back in charge of my life, and I feel great. I only wish I had done this sooner.” - Robert, age 68
Help yourself and others by becoming a Leader for the “Living Healthy with Chronic Conditions Program”!
Help yourself and others with ongoing health conditions by becoming a Leader for the “Healthier Living ” program. Eager volunteers willing to complete the four (4) day training Chronic Disease Self-Management Program (CDSMP) should consider sending in their Leader Registration Form to the Office on Aging. (See information on the form and on the website below).
Leader applicants must be able:
- To attend a four-day training (9:00 am to 4:00 pm)
- To be comfortable in front of a group
- To facilitate future workshops
Note - Those with ongoing health conditions of their own are especially encouraged to attend.
Call Erin Ulibarri at (714) 836-3331
Judy Ogan at (714) 972-3747
: Call (800) 510-2020 & send registration form via
fax to (714) 567-5021.
The “CDSMP Stockholder Collaborative” is back!
On July 25, 2013, the Office on Aging reunited the Chronic Disease Self-Management Program (CDSMP) Stakeholder Collaborative. We brought together nineteen talented individuals who represent; Businesses, Retired Volunteers, County Programs, Community Based Organizations, Local Hospitals, For Profit, Not for Profit Agencies, and Entrepreneurs with great minds and ideas for the direction of the program. We worked to address how best to promote the CDSM Program and ultimately promote Healthier Living. We also discussed opportunities for stakeholders to become engaged in the program. Here’s how:
- If an organization has a meeting room with space for at least 20 people, and can commit to one day a week for six consecutive weeks, then they can volunteer to be a host site.
- If an organization can help distribute flyers, post an article in a newsletter, or display flyers in a lobby/reception area, then they can volunteer to promote the program.
- If an organization provides a direct service to adults (18 and older) or caregivers that might benefit from the program, then they can volunteer to help recruit participants.
Our next Stakeholders meeting will be on February 27, 2014 from 10:00 am to 12:00 pm. If you want to know more about the Collaborative or the CDSM Program, contact Frank Hernandez at 714-480-6479 or Email at email@example.com.
About Healthier Living
- Meets 2 ½ hours per week for six weeks
- Small group (10-15 participants)
- Peer-led (non-health care professional) self-management workshop
- Promotes empowerment by teaching behavior management
- Not disease-specific
- Addresses topics such as
- Relaxation techniques
- Nutritious eating
- Improving communication with physicians, family, and friends
- Medication “how to’s”
- Weekly goal setting
The Benefits of Healthier Living:
- More energy / reduced fatigue
- Improved symptom management
- Increase in exercise
- Improved health status
- Reduction in pain
- Enhanced partnerships with physicians
- Fewer outpatient visits
- Fewer emergency room visits
- Fewer hospitalizations
- Decrease in length of hospital stay
For more information on the program, click here.
Healthier Living workshops are offered throughout Orange County. Call the Office on Aging at 1-800-510-2020 for more information and to find out about upcoming classes.
July 7, 2010 Meeting Agenda
July 7, 2010 Meeting Minutes
October 26, 2010 Meeting Agenda
October 26, 2010 Meeting Minutes
February 24, 2011 Meeting Agenda
February 24, 2011 Meeting Minutes
July 27, 2011 Meeting Agenda
July 27, 2011 Meeting Minutes
October 27, 2011 Meeting Agenda
Marketing MaterialsInformation FlyerWorkshop Session Outline FlyerTri-fold BrochureTestimonial FlyerFact Sheet for Medical ProfessionalsProgram Overview for Medical ProfessionalsProgram Overview PowerPoint
Workshop Information Cover Sheet
Session 1 Survey
Session 6 Evaluation
Book Loaner Form
Certificate of Completion
September 21, 2010 Facilitator Meeting Minutes